MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV has expressed willingness to resign from the Senate if proven that his allegations against President Rodrigo Duterte are wrong.
The senator once again brought up the issue that the president has P2 billion in his bank accounts.
“President Duterte, marami ka pang sinasabi, kung talagang wala kang itinatagong nakaw na yaman, tanggapin mo na ang hamon ko at buksan mo na [‘yung] transaction history ng bank accounts mo at kung mali ako, magreresign agad ako bilang Senador,” Trillanes said in a statement.
Duterte said that he will resign immediately if Trillanes can prove his allegations against him.
The president noted that the issue has been rehashed as he had answered such allegations before taking office.
“If Trillanes can prove his allegation that I have amassed P2 billion illegally or if that bank account under my name has a total deposit at one time of even just half a billion, I will resign as president immediately,” Duterte said in video message released Thursday night.
Trillanes also called on the Office of the Ombudsman to speed up its investigation on the plunder case that he filed against Duterte last year.
“Para sa kaalaman ng lahat, nagfile na ako ng plunder case against Pres. Duterte nung May 2016 pa at ginamit kong ebidensya ang mga hawak kong mga dokumento ukol sa questionable bank transactions niya,” the senator said.
Trillanes had accused Duterte of maintaining 11,000 ghost employees in the Davao City government in 2014.
The senator claimed that Davao City spent P708 million to pay for the services of the alleged ghost employees.