Kolesarski dresi
75,000 voters in Zamboanga will be allowed to vote despite having incomplete biometrics | Latest Trending News
Local News & World News

75,000 voters in Zamboanga will be allowed to vote despite having incomplete biometrics

Some 75,000 voters in Zamboanga will be allowed to vote in May 2016 despite having incomplete biometrics, First District Election Officer Stephen Roy Cañete has announced.

Sharing an article which was originally published by the Philippines News Agency, Interaksyonreported that the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has promulgated a resolution allowing voters with incomplete biometrics to vote. Cañete said the Resolution 10013 also states that voters without biometrics at all will be deactivated from the Voters’ Registration System (VRS).

Moreover, he noted that the promulgation of the resolution was a positive development as 75,000 voters from this city will benefit from it.

The biometrics includes the computer-generated picture, signature, and fingerprint of a voter. In Zamboanga, at least 80 percent lack the computerized signature while the remaining 20 percent have no computerized thumbmark in the VRS.

Meanwhile, Comelec disclosed that it has registered about 54.6 million voters’ biometrics. Previously, it suggested that it would likely need to register 54 to 56 million eligible voters.

No more extension

The Comelec expressed confidence that the Supreme Court (SC) will rule against the Kabataan party-list’s petition which is  seeking an extension on the period of voters’ registration.

According to Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista, he and the other election officials are optimistic that the SC will recognize that the poll body gave the public all the opportunities to register as voters.

“We have bent backward to try to accommodate as many voters as we can. It was 18 months. I think it was enough time for people to really register,” Bautista said.

It  was also noted that the nationwide voters’ registration, which ended last October 31, had actually  started on May 6, 2014.

photo credit: Veejay Villafranca
source: Interaksyon, Find Biometrics, Philippine Star

Loading...
Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close