Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte’s camp called the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) “desperate” for implicating Duterte in an alleged misuse of education funds.
“It’s a pity that the camp of Vice President Jejomar Binay is now attempting to paint everyone black out of its desperation to escape the burning allegations of massive corruption hurled against the UNA standard bearer,” Peter Laviña, spokesperson of Duterte, said on Friday.
On Friday, UNA said Duterte may be liable for the misuse of the P46-million Special Education Fund in Davao City in 2014.
“Hindi naman ito pagtira. Ito’y pagsasaad lamang sa nakita ng COA. So, masasagot naman ito kung mabibigyan ng pagkakataon,” Binay spokesperson lawyer Rico Quicho said.
“Kaya nga ho gusto naming malaman kung ano ba ang totoong nangyari dito. Mabuti na rin na masagot at maipaliwanag ang issue na ito,” he added
Duterte’s spokesperson said “UNA desperately trying to muddle and confuse the public as it evades the allegations of corruption hounding VP Binay right now” Laviña said.
He added that the issue was already answered last year, “There is nothing new here. This is an old information made to appear fresh. I would say, this is a worthless piece of information. But, really, nice try”.
“Based on the information I received from the Department of Education, the questioned funds were used for the promotion of physical education programs, which is allowed under the law,” he added that the funds were used to send athletes and their coaches to sporting events across the country.
On the other hand, The Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said “If he can show proof that I stole a single centavo from Davao, he can accompany me to the Commission on Elections tomorrow and I will withdraw my candidacy.”.
“I am not Binay, I do not steal,” He added.